Compression stockings (elastocompression therapy) are one of the pillars of the treatment of venous insufficiency along with sclerosis, surgery and venotonic drugs.
Of these therapeutic methods, stockings play a prominent role as they are a non-invasive form of varicose vein treatment, which in many cases may correspond to the only measure that some patients follow, even many of those who choose not to undergo surgery choose to keep the stockings as a lifelong treatment or as long as possible, others combine surgery with stockings.
“Doing things well matters more than doing them.” Antonio Machado
It should be noted that there are many more patients with an indication to use compression stockings for venous insufficiency rather than surgery, since the stockings can be used throughout practically all phases of the disease.
Stockings for varicose veins can be used in patients in the early phase of this disease to mitigate their progress, when there are no surgical criteria, or to relieve symptoms such as pain, tired legs, heaviness, swelling, discoloration, etc. Understanding that despite the fact that there are patients with strong indications for surgery, we see more and more patients in early stages who come only for bothersome symptoms or for aesthetics to the consultation of vascular doctors.
Medias de compresión 20-30 mmHg opacas de apoyo para mujeres y hombres con puntera cerrada para enfermería, medias de compresión graduadas que ayudan a aliviar la hinchazón de las venas varicosas Edema Beige M
How do varicose vein stockings work?
The action mechanism of the stockings meets the following characteristics:
- Compress incompetent superficial veins (varicose veins)
- Favor the venous return of the deep veins.
- Reduce venous flow in the opposite direction to normal (reflux)
- They reinforce the rigidity of the membranes that cover the leg muscles so that muscle contraction is effective and facilitates the flow of deep veins.
- They reduce edema thanks to the decrease in capillary hydrostatic pressure that, together with normal osmotic pressure, maintains electrolytes and fluids in the intravascular space.
- They prevent the slowing down of the venous blood flow in the legs (in resting positions) that favors stasis and thrombosis.
SIGVARIS Women’s DYNAVEN Open Toe Calf-High Socks 20-30mmHg
How will this help me?
Among the advantages of using elastocompression with stockings are:
- The first thing patients notice is symptom relief
- Slowing the progress of the disease
- Preventing thrombus formation
- It helps to cure the venous ulcer when elastic bandages or special boots are not being used.
runee Thigh High abierto Toe Medias de compresión (, alta calidad, mejor para variz, DVT, edema, Spider sentido, hinchazón, el embarazo, Viajes, 2XL, Beige
Medias de compresión opacas altas al muslo de silicona para soporte firme de 20 – 30 mmHg, XL, 1
- Indications and contraindications of compression stockings
- Compression stockings to prevent vein thrombosis
- Compression stockings for sleep?
- Uses of stockings according to their degree of compression
- Compression stockings in Overweight and Obesity
- Best compression stockings for varicose veins
- Stocking allergy
- Stockings to prevent economy class syndrome
- Pregnancy and use of Compression Stockings
We always recommend attending the consultation of a specialist in vascular diseases.